Me sitting here thinking “What should I do?”
For the last few weeks I have finished my contract to help my school community. It’s such a big deal that prevent me from focus on my own work. But today it’s over, and now I confuse to decide what should I do, especially with existing projects.
First thing is that I have premium projects.
The Premium Assets
I have a big deal with these primary assets. Currently 100% of my income comes from this stream. Altough the usage is low, it has revenue stream enough to help gain my family net income and boost my confidence as a developer. I have been doing these business for at least two year and it’s a big milestone in my lifetime career.
But sometime it sucks, because people only pay them once (in lifetime), and I have to keep it updated or bad reviews will arrive. Also the income is not streamlined, mostly up and down, so that I can’t fully rely on such system.
If you have used these assets you’ll notice that I haven’t update them for while. That isn’t mean I don’t care them anymore, but:
- Zero people reach me, in the last few weeks (so then I have no idea what to fix, where to improve)
- TexDraw reaches it’s very stable version (first point is the proof) (I don’t want it mess up again)
- Engine4… People may don’t care at all (zero sales until now)
- The rest is in the same fate as the second point.
I believe there will be a point where zero (very few) sales will be made, and outdated. In that case I may tag them for free. But that’s very unlikely at this point.
The Front Engineering Era
I’ve been familiar with C# for years and built many thing with that.
libraries(aka. modules) with their giant repo.
- with HTML+CSS+JS I can make apps directly to the web.
- with Node.js I can make desktop CLI apps (and cross platform!)
- with Electron I can ‘embed’ my web apps as native desktop GUI (cross platform, again!)
- with AngularJS I can make desktop GUI bloated of data binding painlessly
- with Typescript I can make my environment full of candies with many syntax sugar painlessly
- with ALL above I can make any kind of cross-platform desktop and web apps
Of course I haven’t tell others like
React, etc. etc.